I was at work today where, upon its removal from a fresh shipment, a dress found immediate derision from me. Now I have had a bit of an adventure coming into a store that is much more trendy than I would have ever shopped in; and I haven't just come in, I work there. So I have learned a thing or two, and warmed up to a few others... but I retain a tainted low-fashion eye, I suppose, for some things. I say this because as others passed by the piece they all responded with, "OH! That IS SO CUTE!". (I wish there were a better way to have a dramatic pause in writing, because if there were one, it would be happening right now coupled with a blank stare of mine.)
So I've come to the conclusion, epiphany-like in proportion, that fashion or trendiness has little to do with a keen eye and cultured study and experience... it is more just a way of wearing things that the world at large is not. So really, the term "That's so cute!" In my store would actually be translated to, "That's strange, unusual and kind of offensive... I think I should like it!"
Then again... anyone who really understands fashion likely thinks very little of this little insight of mine. After all, I am the soi-disant tainted eye for low-fashion.
Wednesday, November 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment