Thursday, February 7, 2008

With a Wink and a... Smirk, maybe?

I've long been self conscious about my smile... and for good reason. I don't blame anyone... out loud or anywhere visible... but I was born with missing teeth, others growing where they shouldn't have, orthodontia sporadically since the third grade, and ultimately a couple of less than up to date and less than... luminous... bridges. So much so that many of the pictures that I will show to others have been digitally enhanced to show a shade of white I much prefer to reality. I will selectively choose how to smile for certain pictures knowing how it will show my teeth. Black and white are great shots, washed out are good, distant group pictures... well... I'm cautious even then. Perhaps I am even thought of as a more sullen person because I simply don't want you to see the work behind my lips.
It is a vanity issue. I, with others, have stepped lightly when discussing cosmetic surgeries or artificial physical enhancements, claiming firmly, but quietly, that people should just learn to not care what others think, to accept themselves and be confident notwithstanding any minor imperfection(s). That's the right thing, isn't it? Well I suppose. But I still won't smile naturally in front of you. You'll notice my smiles are more smirks or grins. You'll notice I turn away from you when I laugh. Would I change it if I could? Without a second thought.
Will this ever change? I can hope. I'll admit, I haven't been this candid with many people at all and it scares me a bit every time I actually articulate it.
*Deep Breath*

No comments: